What is menopause?
Menopause is a normal condition that all women experience as they age. The term “menopause” can describe any of the changes a woman goes through either just before or after she stops menstruating, marking the end of her reproductive period.
What causes menopause?
A woman is born with a finite number of eggs, which are stored in the ovaries. The ovaries also make the hormones estrogen and progesterone, which control menstruation and ovulation. Menopause happens when the ovaries no longer release an egg every month and menstruation stops.
Menopause is considered a normal part of aging when it happens after the age of 40. But some women can go through it early, either as a result of surgery, such as hysterectomy, or damage to the ovaries, such as from chemotherapy. Symptoms that occur before 40, regardless of the cause, are premature.
How does natural menopause happen?
Natural menopause is not brought on by any type of medical or surgical treatment. The process is gradual and has three stages:
- Perimenopause: Several years before menopause, Perimenopause begins when the ovaries gradually make less estrogen. During this stage, the ovaries stop releasing eggs. In the last 1-2 years of perimenopause, estrogen levels drop more quickly. At this stage, many women experience menopausal symptoms.
- Menopause: This is when it’s been a year since a woman had her last menstrual period. The ovaries have stopped releasing eggs and making the majority of their estrogen.
- Postmenopause: During this stage, menopausal symptoms usually ease for women. Health risks, however, related to the loss of estrogen increase as women age.
What are the symptoms?
When approaching menopause, most women will experience hot flashes, a sudden feeling of warmth that comes over the upper body. The intensity of hot flashes can vary from mild to severe. Other common symptoms include:
- Irregular or skipped periods
- Mood swings
- Racing heart
- Joint and muscle aches and pains
- Changes in sex drive
- Vaginal dryness
- Bladder control problems
Request an appointment in Austin, Texas
If you are experiencing menopausal symptoms, we at Lotus can help. Currently, we have the following services to address your menopausal symptoms:
- Bioidentical Hormone Therapy
- da Vinci Surgery
- diVa Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Sexual Medicine
To request an appointment, contact Lotus at (512) 716-0971 or use the form below.